Friday, January 10, 2014

Feature Friday: "Chelsea in the Spotlight"



Hey Everyone,

Today on my blog I have the Gorgeous and Fabulous Chelsea, sharing her natural hair story with us.  She is a fellow Vlogger who not only does natural hair tutorials but she also sneaks in some beautiful makeup vids as well.  I simply love her humor and of course her curls, so I am super excited to have her here today.

So without further ado, let’s get started.

Hi Chelsea….Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to share with use today.  Can you start by telling us a little bit about yourself?

I’m Chelsea! I’m a 25 year old natural from Mississippi. I just entered my third year of my natural hair journey. I affectionately refer to my hair as Chaka.

Yes you do….and might I add that Chaka be doing the dang thang. LOL!!! Okay so you mentioned that you are going into your third of your natural hair journey.  When you went natural did you transition or did you do the big chop?

I began my transition in November 2010. This past November I celebrated 3 years since I decided to return to natural. I transitioned because I wasn’t comfortable chopping all at once.

You said you weren’t comfortable chopping it all of it at once, so how did you actual feel once you did go completely natural?

I made the decision to return to natural because I spent all of my teenage years as a natural, even though I didn’t really know what that meant.  Then, on a whim, I relaxed before entering into the first year of undergrad.  When I began my graduate school journey I began to notice that my big bouncy curls were no longer present. I missed my curls terribly! I researched and found that I could start a process known as “transitioning” to return back to my beloved curls. After completing my transition and chopping off my relaxed remnants I felt AMAZING!

How did family and friends react to your decision to return back to natural?

Overall I was met with support. Of course, there were those who don’t understand my decision but I don’t let anyone else affect my decisions. I appreciate those who support me but I don’t allow those who don’t to harm me.

Can you describe your hair for us?

My hair is predominantly 3b with one section near my crown that tends to lend itself a little closer to the 3c texture.  I would also describe my hair as fine and dense.  Chaka, as I affectionately call my hair, behaves quite well with proper care. I really can’t complain!

I love how you named your hair.  I believe a lot of women have, I have yet to find a good name for mine. LOL!!

Well can you share how curly hair routine with us?

I begin by deep conditioning my hair with a mixture of TreSemme Naturals, coconut oil, and olive oil. I do this because I use shampoo regularly which strips my hair so I would like to pre condition my hair in order to lessen the effects of the stripping.  Then I shampoo with either Giovanni 50/50 balanced Clarifying Shampoo or Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Shampoo. I then leave in Paul Mitchell’s The Conditioner. I am a bit of a product junkie when it comes to styling products so the products I use to style vary quite a bit. I love wash and goes so typically I just apply my product and let it air dry. 
 
What are some of your favorite products?

Some of my staple styling products are Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Miss Jessie’s Quick Curls or Curly Meringue, and Flax Seed Gel.

I see a couple of my favs on the list.
With all of that hair of yours how do you maintain your hair at night?

PINEAPPLE! PINEAPPLE! PINEAPPLE! I can’t stress how important the pineapple is!

Yes ladies….the Pineapple will be your best friend at night.  Not the fruit, but a technique that calls for you to pull your hair up to the top of your head and secure it loosely with a head band and then wrap a scarf around your head or you could put on a bonnet.  This technique will typically give you great results in the morning for any loose hairstyle when you take the hair down.  Just give it a shake and shape it a bit and you should be good to go.


Thank you so much, Chelsea for taking time out to share Chaka’s journey and how you care for her.  I know you are a busy woman, but before you go can you tell us what the best thing about being natural is?

VERSATILITY! I can wear my hair huge and wild one day, twisted the next, and straight all in one week.

Well there you have it ladies and gents.  To see more of Chelsea and Chaka you can check them out below.



No comments:

Post a Comment