Friday, August 16, 2013

Feature Friday - Alexcia in the Spotlight




 
This week I have the beautiful Alexcia sharing her natural hair story and regimen with use today.  Thanks for taking time out to share with us today, can you start off by telling us a little bit about yourself.
Hi, my name is Alexcia Scott. I am a 21 years of age college student.  I am West Indian, from the beautiful Island of Jamaica. I was natural for 13 years of my life then I got a relaxer in 2007 for 4 years and then I big chopped in 2011, really because I missed my Natural Hair.

I am sure you did….well I am sure you are glad you made the decision to return back to natural.

So, it sounds like you didn’t waste any time and you did the big chop.  Is that right?
I tried to transition but it was a little too frustrating for me so I did do the Big Chop, well my best friend actually did it…. Lol.


How did you feel after returning back to natural?
I know that this may sound a little cliché for us Natural Hair girls but it is so true! I literally felt liberated! No joke. This amazing feeling just came over me, (well after I stood in front of the mirror few minutes after that is), and I think that u can only feel get that feeling when you Big Chop.

I definitely understand and can relate. It is certainly a freeing feeling when you rid yourself of the relaxed/damaged hair and see your natural hair for the first time in a long time.

I know you were excited about your decision, but how did family and friends react to your decision to go back natural?
My family, they were ok with the idea of me going natural but not ok with the idea of me chopping of my hair, as I never had short hair before, and my husband wasn’t too happy at first because my hair was short but was very supportive. My friends, they were ok with it they thought I was brave being able to have the courage to cut my all my hair, and my best friend really just wanted me to get it over with already because I talked about doing it so much but was always a little scared, lol that’s why she ended up doing it.
 
How did you respond to them?
Whatever reactions I got from my friends and family it was ok, in the fact that I understood why they would have a certain reaction but I was very certain about what I wanted in my decision, my mind was already made up.

How would you describe your hair?
My hair is color is black naturally never been colored and shoulder length. I don’t understand the “hair Scale” thing (4c,2b) I don’t know. My hair is very manageable, as long as a take care of it I have no problem.
 
Speaking of taking care of your hair, can you share with us your current hair routine?
My hair routine is very simple, I try to wash my hair now, every week or two weeks, I deep condition every time I wash my hair.  

Yes…Deep conditioning the hair is very important, it helps you maintain moisture and help keeps it healthy.  Well tell you tell us what your favorite products are?
My favorite product line is the Shea Moisture line; I used almost all of their products. Love them. I’ve used their products ever since I did my Big Chop. I also currently use Cantu Shea  

Shea Moisture is definitely a good product line there is a little something for every hair texture. 

When it’s time for bed, how do you maintain your hair at night?
Two-Strand Twist when I am in the mood lol, if not I just put on my satin hair tie or satin bonnet.



Girl yes….many a nights I will just slap on my bonnet or just fall asleep on my satin pillow case without re-twisting a thing.  LOL…but of course if I want my hair to look a certain way the next morning, I will muster up enough energy to do it. LOL!!
 
 

In closing, what would you say is the best thing about being natural?
I love that I am always learning about my hair and I like that I am inspiring others.
 
Well, there you have it ladies.  I hope Alexcia’s story was inspiring and beneficial to you.  For more information about Alexcia, you can find at the following locations:
You can find me on YouTube: NaturalLuLu  (www.youtube.com/natuallulu)
Instagram: @NaturalLuLu  (www.instagram.com/naturallulu)
Email: 2naturallulu@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment