Friday, May 17, 2013

Feature Friday - Natasha in the Spotlight



Tell Us About Yourself:
Hi, my name is Natasha and I am currently an Air Force Wife, stay at home mommy to
an amazing 2 year old little girl and a part-time student pursuing a degree in nursing to
become a Nurse Anesthetist and when time allows, a Nutrionist.

Were you a slow transitioner or did you Big Chop & Why? I was a slow transitioner; I was so pressed about length, even though I had my hair cut short, similar to T-boz from TLC (asymmetrical, short in the back and one side and longer on the other), which was an accident because my hair dresser was supposed to cut it into Rihanna’s then popular, bob haircut for prom. I couldn’t picture myself with short, natural hair (which now I wish I was brave enough to just chop it off!) and I know the growing out process can be a pain from my “accidental” previous cut. I transitioned from February 2010 until May 2011 until I went home to Florida for a visit and was able to go to a salon that knew about natural hair (not likely where I currently live, in New Mexico).

How did you feel after going natural? I was very proud of my decision because it’s not something someone just wakes up and decides to do. I’ve always thought of going natural when I would become pregnant because of the chemicals and the baby (sad I didn’t worry about the chemicals harming myself beforehand). I felt that I was making the best decision for my daughter’s health so it seemed like the best life-style change for me and I don’t regret it, just wish I thought to do it sooner.
  
How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural? What was your response to them? My husband, being raised predominately by his mother, grew up with how a woman’s hair should look, so at first he was confused and thought it was a momentary thing. After a while of my reassurance and strong stand on wanting to be natural after the baby, he slowly but surely began to love my natural hair as much as I was. Now, if I say I want to straighten my hair or install a weave, he’d rather me not. Some of my family members made smart jokes, but when they realized I wasn’t fazed by them, they left me alone.
 
Describe your hair.
My hair is bipolar I guess (lol). I have very loose curls in the back and along the sides of my hair (3A/3B), a coarse texture along my edges (4A/4B) and my crown is very thick with a mix of all the previous hair patterns. It’s arm pit length now (thanks to shrinkage, only noticeable when straightened or pulled taut), but shoulder length when air-dried,
especially in braidouts.

What’s your current hair routine? What are your favorite products?
My current hair routine is not so intense, I give my hair what it shows signs of needing and go from there. Saturday’s if I’m not preoccupied, but Sunday’s, is usually my wash days. I usually clarify when needed with Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa Tea Tree shampoo (clarify), and use Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo (shampoo), diluted as my regular/weekly shampoo. I use Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa conditioner (rinse out conditioner) and proceed with Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque or a homemade mix similar to Courtney’s Natural Hair on
YouTube’s dc with an avocado sometimes thrown in if I haven’t eaten them all (deep conditioner). If I get to wash my hair on Saturday’s, I’ll dc overnight. I like to wash in 4 sections (if my hair has tons of buildup, usually if I only get to wash my hair in 2 weeks instead of 1), but usually in 2, to save time. I give my hair 3 good washes and then finger detangle with my rinse out conditioner. Then rinse and apply my dc. Post shower I use the LOC (Liquid-Oil-Cream) method to moisturizer my hair. My liquid: water, Oil: ONE of the following: coconut oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, apricot or even sweet almond oil, and cream: Shea Moisture’s Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk (leave-in). After wash-day I put my hair in neat braids (at least 10-12).

How do you maintain your hair at night?
I re-braid during the week with water (if my hair seems like it doesn’t need reapplication of my leave-in) and if it feels a bit dry on day ¾, I spritz with water, apply leave-in and re-braid with 8-10 braids.Sometimes after a long day, I just put my hair in a high bun and tie it up with a silk scarf or cover with a bonnet, always!
 
What’s the best thing about being natural?
Being natural means individuality and freedom to me, is the best part. Natural hair is versatile and I don’t feel like I “another” African American woman. My hair has its own story and with each hairstyle I create, it shows another side of me. Plus I can do so much more with my hair, in its natural state. I don’t feel like I have to have my hair straightened to like it, I do what I like with it, and that makes me happy.



Where can people find you on the web?
I can be found on my Instagram @NaturallyNat90 or my newly developed fashion blog
http://thisornat.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment