Friday, June 6, 2014

Feature Friday "Tynisha" In the Spotlight

 
Hey Everyone….I am so excited to be bringing the lovely Tynisha to you today.  She is a gorgeous naturalista who has been all over social media with her super chic and creative up-dos.  I’m glad she was able to take a moment to discuss her natural hair with us.
Let’s jump right on into it. 
Hey Tynisha….Thanks so much for taking time out to share with use today.  I wanted to start off by you telling everyone a little bit about yourself.
 
My name is Tynisha….I am 33 years of fabulous! I’m originally from Denver, Colorado and I currently reside in the ATL!
 33!!! Girl…did you just say 33 years old???  Wow… you still look like you are in your twenties!!  Keep doing what you are doing lady, because you look nice and youthful. Okay…let me get back to the interview. LOL! 
 How long have you been natural?
I have been natural in terms of “chemical free” for 8 years but it has only been within the last 2 years that I’ve decided to embrace my own natural hair. Previously, you could always find me rocking the longest silkiest weave you could ever find….LOL!               
Did you slowly transition or did you Big Chop?
When I started wearing my natural hair it was literally almost overnight. My husband and I found out we were pregnant in January 2012 and I just took the weave out and let it be during my pregnancy. When we learned we were having a girl that March of 2012, it made my decision to continue clearer.  I already had 2 boys but it was something about having a daughter that made me want to continue this journey. I wanted my daughter to see “me” and see herself in me with no enhancements if that makes sense. It was important to me to show her from the start that “we” are perfect the way we are.
Awesome!!! What better motivation than your own child.  You are setting an excellent example for her. 
Once you started wearing you own natural hair out, how did you feel?
Once I started wearing my own hair and embracing me I felt free and unashamed. There were times were I would not go to work if I could not get an appointment to put my weave back in. I will admit, I was scared in the beginning of what others would think, especially in Corporate America. I did not know how to style my hair and I thought that it looked crazy but I kept pushing! LOL
I can definitely relate to that.  I felt similar in my Corporate America setting, but I kept it moving as well.  LOL!!!
How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural?
I was very worried about what my husband would think because he was so used to me either rocking short cuts or weave. He was very supportive which was all that I needed. My friends were also very supportive, but I did have those women who would tell me I needed a perm or I need to comb my hair. That was in the beginning but now that I’ve learned my hair, I’ve inspired others to go natural that I had no idea were paying that much attention. LOL…..That keeps me inspired, just like so many of my favorite naturals inspire me.
That’s good to hear.  You really never know who is watching you.  J
Well, can you describe your hair?
My hair is muli-textured, my edges are very soft and manageable; the middle…that’s another story. LOL  It is very thick and I have some areas that are thin due to tension from my continuous wearing of weaves. It’s coming back though! J
What’s your current hair routine?
I co-wash and deep condition my hair every Sunday during the cold months (or at least I try to) LOL I use Treseme Naturals to co-wash my hair. If I have product build-up, I rinse my hair clean with a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and water. I seal in moisture with water, Organic Coconut Oil from Trader Joe’s and Shea Butter. I deep condition with Eden Body Works All Natural Deep Conditioner with Jojoba and Monoi and I almost always wear protective styles like twists or buns.
And might I add those protective styles are the BOMB!!! LOL!!
So, what are your favorite products?
I have so many products…like every natural, I’m a product junkie.  My favorites are Eden Body Works All Natural Deep Conditioner with Jojoba and Monoi. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Oil and I just started using It’s a 10 Leave in Conditioner with Keratin. I also love Cream of Nature 7 in 1 Leave in Conditioner and Cantu products. I also keep raw Shea Butter on deck and I LOVE Garnier Fructise Sleek and Shine Leave in Conditioner. It’s inexpensive and it smells great! Oh yeah, I can’t forget my Jamaican Black Castor Oil…it has worked wonders for my thin areas.
How do you maintain your hair at night?
My night time routine is simple…I spritz my protective style with water and I tie it up. Nothing fancy! LOL
Tynisha, I want to thank you again for taking time out of your day.  You have turned me onto some different products that I may be trying soon and you really let us in.  I appreciate your candidness and your willingness to share with us.  Before I let you go can you tell us what you think the best thing is about being natural?
The best thing for me about being natural is that I’m learning how to care for my hair. I love the versatility and I love that my hair is mine.
Great!! Thanks again, Tynisha. If you want to see more of Tynisha, please check her out at the following social media sites below.
 
 
If you are interested in possibly becoming a Feature Friday contact me at TiffanyNicholsDesign@gmail.com
 
Until Next Time!
Take Care and God Bless!!
 
Tiffany N
 

No comments:

Post a Comment