Friday, May 3, 2013

Feature Friday - Michele in the Spotlight




 
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF: My name is Michele Scotland and I’m a southern gal.  Former educator into all things beauty, fashion, hair, and makeup.  Newly engaged, living in Florida and just enjoying life.

Were you a slow transitioner or did you Big Chop & Why?
When I decided to go natural, I really didn’t know what I was doing.  I had damage to my relaxed hair after allowing a college friend to color my strands.  I did a long transition during my senior year of college.  I chose to alternate between microbraids and kinky twists for about ten months before cutting off all of the relaxed ends.

How did you feel after going natural?
After I went natural I felt pretty good.  I went into this process totally blind and I wasn’t in to YouTube yet so I didn’t really know what to do with my hair.  I enjoyed the new look but still reverted back to some known territory with a little more protective styling.  When I did begin to wear my natural hair out, every week I would just wash it and blow dry it and wear it in an afro. TWISTOUTS AND BRAIDOUTS WERE UNHEARD OF TO ME.  LMBO!!!!

How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural?  What was your response to them?
My family was very supportive.  My mom was thrilled because she thought she would be able to play in my hair again as she did when I was a child!! LOL.  My siblings were super supportive, including my big brother who’s opinion I value dearly.  My sister and sister-in-law decided to both follow my lead shortly after and went natural via the Big Chop!!  My dad however, was the one with the reservations.  I guess I didn’t really prepare my family for it, thinking that this whole “natural thing” wasn’t a big deal.  My dad just prefers more of a structured look I guess?  He has come around over the past 3-4 years and continuously notices and comments on the growth of my hair.


DESCRIBE YOUR HAIR: Whew, well this hair definitely has a mind of it’s own.  My hair is of medium thickness and multiple textures.  The front is very kinky, it gets curly towards the middle, with loose waves in the back.  So I’m somewhere between a 3C and 4B.

What’s your current hair routine?  What are your favorite products?
My current hair routine is pretty simple.  I wash my hair once a week and this regimen includes: shampoo, condition, deep treatment, leave-in, seal with an oil, and style.  Sometimes I will include a pre-poo and do a hot oil treatment but this depends on what my hair needs that week.  I also try to re-twist me hair every night and sleep with a satin bonnet plus my satin pillowcase.  Some of my favorite products right now are Curls Unleashed Sulfate-free Shampoo, Curl Care by Dr. Miracle Nourishing Conditioner, Nunaat Leave-In, Jane Carter’s Curl Defining Cream, I absolutely LOVE Bioinfusion Curl Crème, and Castor Oil is simply amazing.



How do you maintain your hair at night?
I try to always moisturize my hair at night and apply an oil or butter to seal the ends.  Most nights I set my hair for the next day by either twisting or braiding it.  I always sleep with my satin bonnet on top of my satin pillowcase for DOUBLE PROTECTION. 

What’s the best thing about being natural?
To me, the best thing about being natural is the versatility and…… get this, the SHRINKAGE.  I love being able to style my hair in many different ways to show off my texture.  I can, wear it curly, kinky, wild, or straight.  It’s like they say… “Same Girl, Different Hair”.  I also don’t mind the shrinkage.  I know most people hate it and it can be a little nerve wrecking that your true length isn’t displayed.  But I love the revenge when people ask me how long my hair is and they go to pull a piece and are shocked.  HA HA!! Even more so when I straighten my hair.  This “natural thing” is pretty cool.


 












Where can people find you on the web?
People can find me on Instagram of course and also on my YouTube Channel.  Both usernames are: MyLifeStyle1908



No comments:

Post a Comment