Friday, July 18, 2014

Feature Friday "Chelsea" In the Spotlight!


Hey Everyone,

Today for Feature Friday I have the beautiful Chelsea sharing her natural hair story and hair regimen with us today.  This Gorgeous Girl with the Goldie Locks has been featured on almost every natural hair social media forum around and I had to have her on my blog giving us the "Tea" on how she maintains her tresses. I don't want to keep you waiting so let's get into it.

Hi Chelsea....Thanks for taking time out to share with use today.  I want to start off my asking you to tell everyone a little bit about yourself.
My name is Chelsea. I am currently a senior at Truman State University studying to receive a B.S. Health Science.  I am from St. Louis, MO. I enjoy shopping, thrifting, reading, and watching YouTube videos.

Awesome....I wish you nothing but the best with your education endeavors. I love to see young adults valuing their education and obtaining those degrees.  Ways to go! 

Okay...I am dying to dive into this hair of yours. How long have you been natural? I began transitioning in August of 2010. I cut off the last of my relaxer in December 2012. So I have been fully natural for almost 2 years now and I am LOVING IT!!!! Wouldn't have changed anything.
   
                                                  
Why did you decide to Transition?  I chose this way because I think I was too afraid to cut off all of my hair (LOL). But transitioning was not hard for me at all, I actually enjoyed it. I spent a majority of the time wearing sew-ins. I also did the traditional twist/braid outs, rod sets. I hated having the " straight ends " and then the curly roots but I dealt with it. I feel like I used sooooo many different products during transitioning its ridiculous but what worked the absolute best for me is the "Kinky Curly Knot today Leave in Conditioner". Great for those with super thick curly hair. 
 
That is my favorite Leave in Conditioner "Hands Down"!!! Definitely good for thick hair. 
 
How did you feel after going natural? I feel like going natural is definitely one of the best decisions I ever made. Like if I could go back in time, like I stated above, I wouldn't change a thing. I love the versatility of natural hair.  I actually feel like my hair is smiling now, free from any chemicals (other than some hair color here and there). I encourage everyone to go natural and embrace themselves naturally.
 
How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural?
 My family and friends were both happy and hesitant at the same time. I think seeing my hair in between, my mom was like 'OMG you need to just gone and get a relaxer' . Like they would see that I sometimes it took a lot of patience to deal with my transitioning hair and they would say "That's just too much". But I just stuck with it because I knew what  I wanted for my hair. SO in response I would just keep doing what I was doing and would say something like "You'll see the outcome and you'll love it." And now they do just that , LOVE IT! 

How would you describe your hair? I would say that my hair has three different curl patterns. It has a 3b, 3c, and 4a in different sections. I used to try to figure out my curl pattern but I sort of gave up lol. My hair is very thick. When it is curly it touches my shoulders because it has a great deal of shrinkage but when all straightened it reaches just below my bra line. My hair absorbs water and oils really fast so I always keep my hair moisturized. My hair is also very bouncy when in its curly state.
      
Can you share your current hair routine with us?
 My current hair routine (a normal wash day) begins with a wash. I wash my hair once. I always do everything in sections, so I wash and condition my hair in two sections. After the wash, I apply my conditioner and rinse. I then apply conditioner again. At this point I detangle. After I detangle the two sections, I allow the conditioner to sit on my hair under a cap for 20-40 mins. Once this is done, I rinse out conditioner with cold water. I proceed to applying my leave in conditioner as well as coconut oil. Once that is done, I apply my curl mousse, and curl gel (still in sections). I finally use the diffuser to give me my final look.

What are some of your favorite products?
My favorite products include:
1.Tresemme Naturals Conditioner- it works great with detangling and in my deep conditioner
2.Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditoner- AWESOME (if not the best) detangler and leave in conditioner for transitioners, especially those with course and thick hair
3. Coconut Oil- I apply before EVERY STYLE! keeps my hair moisturized
4. Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner- excellent lightweight conditioner for anyone, a little goes a long ways

How do you maintain your hair at night?
I maintain all my hairstyles at night by sleeping with a satin cap. The only thing that changes is when I wear a bantu knot out, I always re-knot my hair at night using larger sections.
 
You made it seem so simple.  Ladies...just because you have a head full of hair doesn't mean you have to follow a 20 step regimen on wash day, just a few easy steps can do the trick and keep your hair thriving and growing. 
 
I want to thank you again Chelsea for taking time out of your day.  We really appreciate your hair story and we absolutely love your pictures. I do have one more question before I let you go. 
 

What is the best thing about being natural? 
VERSATILITY  and CURLS!!! I love the fact that I can do sooo many different hairstyles on my hair. It is easy to achieve a variety of different looks whether I begin with straight hair, blow dried hair, or wet hair! 
 
Awesome....Thanks again Chelsea!
 
To see more of Chelsea, you can check her out at the following links below:
  
 





 
Until Next Time,
Take Care & God Bless!!!
 
Tiffany N
 

No comments:

Post a Comment