Friday, May 23, 2014

Feature Friday "MrsHairToday" in the Spotlight!


Hey Everyone….I am back today with another Fabulous Feature Friday!!! Today I have the Beautiful Donna, also known as, MrsHairToday on social media sharing her natural hair story, so let’s jump right into it.
Hey Donna, thanks for taking time out to share with us today. Can you start off by letting everyone know a little bit about yourself?
My name is Donna. I am 33 years old. I'm a mother of 3 wonderful children and I've been married to one man for 7 1/2 years. I love vlogging about natural hair and empowering women all over the world to embrace their natural beauty.
Awesome….now let’s get into this beautiful hair of yours. 
How long have you been natural? I have been natural for 3 1/2 years.
So, were you a slow transitioner or did you Big Chop? I did the "Big Chop" because I was wearing protective styles and decided to make all of my hair one texture. It was hard trying to maintain permed hair and natural hair. It's doable but once I built up enough confidence to cut off all the chemical remaining in my hair, I was ready to do it with no turning back.
How did you feel after going natural? I felt nervous at first. But soon afterwards, I felt refreshed. I felt like a "new me". I was ready to start experimenting with different products to see what my hair would like and what styles I could teach myself.
How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural?  The reaction I received from my family was positive. They were in shock that I cut my hair but they have supported me all the way. As far as friends, there were mixed reactions. Some people thought it was a fad. They told me that I would eventually go back to getting perms once I see how hard it was to maintain natural hair. Boy was they wrong. Today, they now want to know how they can start their own journey. I love it! Always be Fierce and Confident in your decisions!
 
That is some great advice right there!!! I’m glad you stuck it through and didn’t give up. 
Well, do you mind describing your hair for us? My hair is 3c in the front and 4a in the back. I never got it straight about the numbers but I think I'm pretty close to it. My hair in the back is more course and dry. I have to apply more products to the back of my hair to make sure it stays moisturized. The front of my hair is pretty much soft. No matter what I do to it, it works out every time.
What’s your current hair routine? I can't really say I have a routine but I try to make sure I deep condition at least once a month. I try to wash my hair every other week to keep my naturals oils in. Washing your hair too much will cause you to take out oils in your hair which can lead to breakage. I also give myself a trim every 2 months now, even if it's dusting the ends. As the weather changes to warm weather I will do more co-washing. Lastly, I'm finding out which products work for me and sticking to it. I keep a leave-in in along with a twisting cream to keep moisture in my hair.
What are some of your favorite products?
Some of my favorite products are the following:
Eco Styler Gel (a must), Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine, Entwine Couture's entire line, Herbal Essence Honey I'm Strong, Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and conditioner, Design Essentials Stretching Creme, As I Am Twist Defining Cream and Cowash, Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue, Cantu Shea Leave-in, Beautiful Textures entire line, Creme of Nature entire line, etc... I have so many favs!
You sure do!!! LOL!
How do you maintain your hair at night? I try to apply oil to my hair each night and secure my hair with my satin bonnet.
Sounds easy enough!
I want to thank you again Donna for taking time out to share with us.  I am sure many women have seen your pics floating around on social media, so this will give them a little bit more insight about you and your hair routine.
Before I let you go, can you tell us what the best thing about being natural is? The best thing about being natural is the versatility. I can rock my hair in an Afro, twists, puff, Updo, or wear it straight or curly. There are no limitations when it comes to natural hair. It's just that FAB?
To keep up with Donna on social media you can check her out below:
Twitter: MrsHairToday
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment