Friday, May 9, 2014

Feature Friday "Ginny" In the Spotlight


 Hi guys….I am so excited to have Ginny on my blog today, sharing her natural hair story and regimen with us today.  I follow this beauty on IG and absolutely love her hair and personality.  I am glad she was able to take time out of her schedule and allow me to interview her.  Check out the interview below:
 
Hi Ginny….Thanks again for sharing your hair journey with us today.  Let’s jump on into and start by telling us a little bit about yourself.
 
Tell Us About Yourself:
 

Hi, my name is Ginny and I from Detroit, MI. I have a twin brother, three sisters who all wear their hair natural, and I’m also happily married and a mommy of a boy and a girl!
 
I am a natural hair blogger and new vlogger. I am obsessed with natural hair, fashion on a budget, and heavily interested in health and wellness.  I also organize natural hair, beauty, health and wellness events in the Detroit, MI area. The next event is called Make Me Up Natural on June 7th, 2014 at the McGregor Memorial Center at Wayne State from 1pm to 5pm. See www.embracethenaturalyou.com.
 
Lastly, I went to the University of Detroit Mercy for undergrad with a degree in Business and I went to University of Michigan and I have a Masters in Finance.
 
Other interests include reading graphic novels, steam punk novella, and sci fi books. I also like to sketch and paint. J
 
 
 
Awesome….you are quite interesting and it sounds to me like you stay pretty busy.  Well, let’s get into these beautiful tresses of yours. 
 
How long have you been natural?
I have been natural I would say all my life but depends on how what you mean by ‘natural’. I never had a perm or relaxer but plenty of heat damage and string lifeless hair pushed me to cut chop it all off back in April 2012.
 
Wow….so no transitioning just straight into the big chop?
 
Yes, I did the big chop. I was an accidental natural. I didn’t know what transitioning was until after I stood in the bathroom on a Sunday and asked my husband if he cared if I cut all my hair off. He told me to go ahead because he was sick of me complaining about it. That night, I was frazzled and ending up downloading the “Curly Girl Handbook” by Lorraine Massey and then I found the likes of You Tube vloggers such as Mahogany Curls who was following the curly girl method. I kind of wish I had transitioned and cut off my damaged ends slowly but again I had no idea that I could have done that.
 
 
So, how did you feel after the Big Chop?
I felt pretty self-conscious until my curls and new growth began to grow in. I felt fierce when I had like 1-2 inches of hair. I’m really happy with the arm pit length hair I have now. Once I figured out how to manage my hair then the easier things became.
 
Awesome…so how did your family and friends react with your decision to cut it all off and start over again?
I think I inspired all of my sisters to go natural. I think they saw how fast my hair was growing too. My husband was real supportive too since he actually encouraged me to cut it all off anyway. J
 
How would you describe your hair?
My hair is wavy on top like 3c probably and coily all around the sides and back so 4a probably.
 

Can you take us through your current hair routine?
I wash my hair 1x a week always.  I typically pre poo and finger detangle with coconut oil and water and then put on a shower cap for 30 minutes, 1 hr or overnight prior to shampooing. I then shampoo my hair with a no poo cleanser or low lather cleanser in 1 pass meaning I don’t repeat since I will be using my deep conditioner right after. I then use a leave in conditioner, followed by a water based moisturizing creamy styler or and then seal with a butter. Sometimes I will use a leave in and then a butter styler that is not water based. I mostly use the LCO method (vs. LOC method) or rather the liquid-cream-oil method because it works for my hair. I also massage Jamaican black castor oil on my edges nightly to keep them strong and healthy.
 

That is a great hair regimen…..I also go with the LCO method vs. the LOC method.  I like using the oil to seal all of the moisture in.
 
What are some of your favorite products? I love a lot of Shea Moisture, NATURALICIOUS, and Original Moxie products. I list these and other holy grail products on my blog – http://anyiahessentials.wordpress.com
 
I love low lathering or no lather shampoos such as Original Moxie Get Clean No Foam Poo or Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo. I really don’t use a lot of conditioners unless they are deep conditioners since I wash my hair 1x a week. When I co wash I like to use my NATURALICIOUS 5-in-1 Moroccan Rhassoul Clay Treatment. My favorite deep conditioners are NATURALICIOUS 5-in-1 Moroccan Rhassoul Clay Treatment (leaves my hair buttery soft and I can skip a leave in), Original Moxie Intense Quench Deep Conditioner, or Shea Moisture African Black Soap Purification Masque. I rotate between these three because some have protein and some don’t.
 
 
My favorite leave in conditioner hands down is my Original Moxie Leave In. It’s just right, not too oily, not too watery, and not to thick and it has pumpkin seed oil. I can use this under any styler with no issue.
 
I have a lot of styling favorites. My favorite moisturizing creamy stylers are Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Original Moxie Shape Shifter, and NATURALICIOUS Moisture Infusion Styling Crème. Water is the first ingredient and I can go days before applying additional product to my hair. As far as a styling butter I love Karen’s Body Beautiful Super Duper Hydrating Hair Cream. For two strand twists I love Oyin Handmade Juices and Berries Pomade because it’s heavy and allows your twists sets to be really shiny and last longer.
 
My favorite sealer is  NATURALICIOUS Diving Shine Sealing Oyl but I like to mix it up and a new fav is Tree Naturals Citrus and Vanilla Whipped Hair and Body Butter. As far as refresher sprays, I love NATURALICIOUS Heavenly Hair Hydration Hair Mist. I don’t have a super favorite gel just yet as I don’t use them much.
 
Girl…the way you are describing these products you got me wanting to get back on the product junkie tip, just so I can try them out. LOL!!!  
 
 
What is your night time routine?
For twist outs, I do like 8 maintenance twists meaning I don’t apply product just twist my hair up in random sections to retain the hold. I do the same thing for braid outs. I then wrap my hair with a satin scarf or a satin sock type thingy.  For wash and go’s, I set my hair in maintenance twists too. For two strand twists I wrap my hair at night with a satin scarf since I don’t want my hair moving around and my twists getting messed up.
 

Ginny….Thank you very much for taking time out to share with us today.  I am sure your hair story and regimen information will be beneficial to many.  In closing, what would you say is the best thing about being natural?
It’s so fun! I can change my look in so many ways. Natural hair is so versatile, I can rock two strand twists, a textured up do, twist up do, braids, a twist out, a braid out, a bantu knot out, etc.
 
Great!!! Thanks again Ginny! 
 
To stay connected with Ginny you can find her at the following locations:
 Instagram - @embracethenaturalyou
Twitter - @anyiahessentials
 



 
 For an opportunity to be a Feature Friday, please email me at TiffanyNicholsDesign@gmail.com.
 
Until Next Time,
Take Care and God Bless!!!
 
Tiffany N.

No comments:

Post a Comment