Friday, September 6, 2013

Feature Friday - Monique in the Spotlight!


I am super excited to have the beautiful Monique sharing her natural hair journey information with us today.  Thank you so much for taking time out to share with us today. 
 
Without further ado…let’s jump right into it.
 
Were you a slow transitioner or did you do the Big Chop?
I big chopped.   I was already rocking a Halle Berry style cut, so the process was easy.
 

That makes perfect since and sounds like it would have been pretty easy. 
 
So, after you did the big chop how did you feel?
I felt liberated.  Being that I big chopped, I enjoyed the no fuss of the twa (teeny weeny afro). 
 
Yes….the TWA stage was pretty easy.  It was a little awkward, but never the less it was easy.
 
How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural?
My family was very happy and excited for me.  I immediately became the go to person for all natural hair questions.

LOL….I can definitely relate, but I am sure you don’t mind helping them out and sharing your tips with them. 
 
If you had to describe your hair how would you describe it?
If you follow the hair typing system, I am a mixture of 4a and 4b.  The sides, back, and middle of my hair is tightly coiled/kinky, and the top of my hair is a little looser in texture.
 
     
What’s your current hair routine?
I currently wash and deep condition (with heat) weekly.   I always apply a leave-in-conditioner, styling product, and oil.
 
Your routine sounds pretty easy to follow.
 
Can you share what some of your favorite products are?
Let’s start with shampoos:  I have a healthy addiction to all Shea Moisture shampoos.  I have tried them all, and I am always pleased with the experience.  My go to rinse out conditioner has always been Herbal Essence Hello Hydration.  I have been using it since I first went natural, and I love it.  Currently, my favorite deep conditioner is by Beautiful Textures, and it’s called Rapid Repair.  The great thing about this product is that it also can be left in the hair as a leave in.  My styling products may differ weekly….I love the Dr. Miracle’s Soft Hold Crème, Eden Body Works Shea Pudding Soufflé, and Shea Moisture’s Curl Enhancing Smoothie.
 

I definitely see some of my favorites listed.  The good thing about the products you have listed is that you can find those at your local bss or even at Target Stores.
 
Okay…so after a long day of work or play, what is your night routine?
I usually set my hair every night in braids, and I always sleep in a satin bonnet.
 

I know I have asked you a ton of questions, but I have one more for you. 
 
Can you share with my readers what the best thing about being natural is?
Being natural allows me to try so many hairstyles.  I love the fact that I can be a curly afro wearing natural one day, a bun wearing natural the next, and even a straight hair natural.
 

Thanks again Monique for sharing with us today.  You are such a beauty and a natural hair inspiration.
 
To see more of Monique you can check her out at the following sites.
 
Instagram: @itsmeitsmo  (www.Instragram.com/itsmeitsmo)
She is also in the process of introducing a new subscription service for skincare.
You can find out more info and sign up for their mailing list by visiting website: www.dermaboc.com
And check it out on Instagram: @dermaBox (www.Instagram.com/dermaBox)
Twitter: @dermaBox
 

No comments:

Post a Comment