Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Dee...The Beauty Behind LuvYourMane

I am so happy to have Dee the beautiful woman behind LuvYourMane on my blog today.  Dee lives in Ottawa, Canada is a new new natural, a full time professional, a full time student, and she runs a blog called LuvYourMane.  Now, if you don’t know what LuvYourMane is or what it is about, well allow Dee to enlighten you.  Check out the interview below. 


Dee, can you tell us what LuvYourMane is all about?
It’s a platform I created for black women to learn more about natural hairstyles and care; to celebrate black women and encourage us to embrace our natural hair

I am so glad you decided to start this platform because we definitely need more encouragement and more places to draw inspiration and information from.

What made you start LuvYourMane?
 I had just gone natural and would spend hours online looking for natural hair tips and styles (I hadn’t found the natural community on IG yet). I created a file on my computer and saved all the pics of styles I loved on there so I could reference them throughout my natural hair journey. Then I thought “why not share these with others? I’m sure there are other people searching too!” So I created a tumblr page and then an IG page. I wanted to created a one stop shop for all naturalistas and also a platform to celebrate all transitioners, big choppers, naturalistas, and black women in general.

How did you come up with that name? Is there a meaning behind it?
 Lol I honestly don’t remember. I was probably in one of my cheesy/corny moods. I still think the name is corny but I love it!

Girl…the name is not cheesy or corny at all!  It is precisely what we as women should be doing “Loving Our Own Mane! 

What is next for LuvYourMane?
I just started a blogspot page and I’m probably going to be working on a website soon. I’ve always said it’s just a hobby and it’s fun for me now because it’s something I love and I don’t feel pressured to do anything I don’t want or have to. I’m in school full time and work full time so it’s just something I do on the side but you never know.

Now that we know more about LuvYourMane, let’s find out more about Dee and her natural hair journey.

Dee can you share with my readers if you were a slow transitioner or if you did the big chop & Why?
I transitioned for about 4 months and then did the Big Chop. I did the Big Chop because I didn’t know how to deal with the two different textures and had absolutely no patience with my hair.

I can definitely relate to not having the patience with the two textures.  That takes a special person. LOL!!

How did you feel after going natural?
For the first week after my big chop, I felt regret because my hair was really dry and the routine I had learned from someone on YT didn’t seem to be working for me. After I found the right products to define my curls and learned how to keep it moisturized, I started loving my hair and have ever since!
 I have to ask, how did family and friends react to your decision to go natural? What was your response to them?
 I got a lot of mixed reviews but not as bad as I’ve heard from other naturalistas. I shaved my whole head but my relaxed hair was always really low and shaved in the back so it wasn’t that shocking to family or friends. My dad called me his “son” for a little while lol. A lot of friends mentioned I was “brave” to have taken that step (chopping and going natural) and that they had thought about it but never done it. I tried to do a lot of convincing and I’m still trying lol


LOL….it does take a brave and confident person to do the big chop.  That definitely speaks volumes.

How would you describe your hair?
My hair is African, strong, black and has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work! It’s my baby! It gave me the confidence boost I needed and I fall in love with it every day. It’s kinky, stubborn, picky and sometimes frustrating but I love it nonetheless. I’ve been told it’s 4A but I don’t really pay attention to that.

      
How to do maintain your hair? What’s your current hair routine?
I really don’t do much style-wise. I do a lot of wash’n’gos, frohawks, afro puffs and turban looks. I co-wash once a week with either Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner, Aussie Moist Conditioner or Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner. I love them all; they leave my hair soft and smelling good! I deep condition once every 2 weeks with Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Masque, honey, coconut oil and castor oil. I do a hot oil treatment once a month (trying to do that bi-weekly) with castor oil and coconut oil or sometimes just a honey and castor oil treatment. I’d like to believe my routine is very simple and I’m still learning.

It does sound pretty simple.  I believe simplicity is best when it comes to maintaining your hair.

What are some of your favorite products?
I have a mix of shea butter, peppermint oil, castor oil, coconut oil and vitamin e that a friend whipped up for me. I love it and use it for styling all the time. I also love the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie for styling (when I do style). I’ve recently starting using the shea moisture anti-breakage masque for styling and not just deep conditioning and I love it so far. I love love coconut oil, it’s my staple product. I live in Canada so I have a limited access to natural hair products.


What is your night time routine?
I spritz with my mixture of conditioner, water and jojoba oil and style (twist or braid) when I want a wet look or I just oil with coconut oil and use either the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie or shea butter mix to style for a dry twistout or braid out. I then put a satin bonnet on and that’s it! Sometimes, I’m too lazy to twist or braid but I do end up paying for it the next morning lol

LOL…I have def been lazy and didn’t redo my hair at night and just fall asleep.  I typically end up doing a high bun or a ponytail the next day.  LOL!  

In closing Dee, what would you say is the best thing about being natural?
I’M ME! No one can tell me anything about my hair because it’s mine and I can style it any which way I want. That’s the beauty of natural hair; the versatility and the originality. I love the compliments I get from people, especially older women. I love watching it grow and knowing that I’m the reason why it’s growing; my love and care for it. I love the natural hair community too!


Well said!!! I am so glad you took to time out of your schedule to discuss what LuvYourMane is about and of course for sharing your natural hair story and regimen. 

To find out more information on LuvYourMane and to get more hairspiration check out the following links:

Instagram: @LuvYourMane www.instagram.com/luvyourmane
Twitter: @luvyourmane on Twitter
 



No comments:

Post a Comment