Friday, May 10, 2013

Feature Friday - Caris in the Spotlight



Tell Us About Yourself:
Hello current, future and indecisive natural women and men my name is Caris and I am a
natural sista! I love looking at other naturalist and finding different ways to incorporate a style
of my own based off of what I have seen them do and I am a lover of all things that have to do
with fashion. Anything vintage, especially the 50’s-70’s era including hair, jewelry and articles of
clothing will have me all in. I am what you would call a querky gal! Full of spunk and cheer.

Were you a slow transitioner or did you Big Chop & Why?
I transitioned slowly starting in November 2011 because I was starting to put a lot of color on
my hair. I would go from jet black to jet black with a streak of blonde, then I’d go from jet black
to red all over with a blonde piece, then I’d get tired and want to go brown. Now does that
sound healthy? Not at all! Even though my beautician did everything correct to keep my hair in
healthy conditions I noticed that my hair was not as full as it used to be. Growing up I had long
curly hair and when I got older my mother got tired of pressing my hair so she relaxed my hair
and it never grew back to its full length nor did it gain its natural thickness. So one day I decided
I wanted to rock a big fro and I knew the only way to get the fro that I wanted was to go natural
so I started transitioning in November of 2011.



How did you feel after going natural? I was readily excited, I had moments where I’d see someone with a cute short cut accompanied by relaxed hair and wanted to give up so bad, but I held on and now I am at a length in which I am eager to see where I will be by July 2013.

How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural? What was your response to
them? For the most part they were ok with my decision, even if not I probably didn’t notice because I kind of do what my heart sets out for me to do. I am surrounded by people who know how
I am and they know that I usually switch my style up quite often so I never really bother with wondering what they think.





Describe your hair.
My hair is really curly and it takes a little bit of nothing for it to retain moisture. I have wavy
roots and spiral ends. It’s thick but manageable.

What’s your current hair routine? What are your favorite products? 
Currently I wash my hair with Organix Ever Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo twice a week. I love this shampoo because it does not strip my hair. After my shampoo I condition my hair with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner with a mix of Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil. I then place a plastic shower cap on my head (I am doing this while showering for steaming purposes) for about 15 minutes and then I wash it out. In between washes I do the condition only method aka co-shampoo with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
Moisturizing Conditioner and I always use a leave in conditioner anytime water hits my hair.
The leave in that has me sold is Cantu Shea Butter Leave in conditioning repair cream. All of
this helps retain the moisture needed after washing my hair with what I consider to be hard
water. After my wash or co wash if I blow out my hair (which I usually do because I don’t like
shrinkage) I use a heat protective serum and blow out my hair on “low” heat and then two
strand twist my hair using approximately a quarter sized amount of Cantu Shea Butter Daily
Moisturizer. My hair really looks the best when I only keep my chunky two strands in for 2-4
hours. It’s fuller and not as defined as the overnight two strand look.

















How do you maintain your hair at night?
I ALWAYS wear a silk bonnet and when I am rocking a two strand I take my precious time at
night and individually twist my hair, most nights I use a moisturizer but for the most part my
hair retains a lot of moisture so at times I don’t have to use as much moisturizer.

What’s the best thing about being natural?
The versatility and the responses you get when you are creative with it! I love to switch it up
because I know for sure I will get some type of positive response.

Where can people find you on the web? I am on Instagram: @mscaris


Also be on the look out for Caris' Natural Hair themed crop top shirts later this Summer.  I can't wait!  This beautiful lady has so much style, so I know the shirts will not disappoint.




For a chance to be featured please email me at TiffanyNicholsDesign@gmail.com

Take Care!! God Bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment