Friday, May 31, 2013

Feature Friday - Brandi in the Spotlight

Tell Us About Yourself:
Hi, my name is Brandi; born and raised in NC.  I love all things to do with natural hair-so many different textures, lengths, colors and styles.  So beautiful, the diversity that comes with it.

Were you a slow transitioner or did you Big Chop & Why?

During my hair journey I actually transitioned slowly.  I have always had fairly long hair and have always been afraid to embrace a short cut.

How did you feel after going natural?

This is actually my second time going natural.  During my first journey, I was not educated in how to care for my curls and became very frustrated because my hair was very long, tangled and out of control so in order to maintain I was straightening my hair at least once a week which caused a lot of breakage and completely destroyed my curl pattern.  So, I reverted back to creamy crack (Just For Me to be exact) and quickly found out that was not the answer. Definitely regretted that decision so began transitioning  for a second time. This time, I was smart and started researching on how to maintain and style my hair. It's been 4 years and no turning back.


How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural? What was your response to them?
My friends and family have always told me that I didn't need a perm.  For once in my life I should have listened.  I always thought my hair was more manageable when permed when all along I was destroying what could now be waist length hair.  Hey, but you live and learn and I've learned and graduated.
Describe your hair.
I would describe my hair as fine hair. I'm not really good at hair types but probably be classified as 3c maybe.  I have really good curl definition in which I love and not a big fan of shrinkage but have learned to embrace it.

What’s your current hair routine?
Hair Routine... here lately WnGs have been my bestest friend. I would love to do more with my curls but I also have a daughter who needs more attention to her hair since the BC in September.  Her hair is super thick and takes me forever to detangle and apply product for a simple WnG.  Other than that I do try to deep condition at least twice a month, wash (with shampoo) at least once a month sometimes less, and CoWash at least once a week.  I've also tried a variety of styles (twistouts, Bantu knot outs, a few updos) and its on my to do list to start protective styling more.
What are your favorite products?
My absolutely favorite products are as followed: Paul Mitchell the conditioner for my WnGs, Shea Moisture Curling Enhancing Smoothie and Curl and Style Milk for my twistouts, Tresemme Naturals and Conditioner for CoWashing.  I prefer to make my own truly natural deep conditioning treatments which usually consist of avocado, bananas, EVOO, Coconut Oil and honey.  I also incorporate EcoStyler Gel with Argan Oil as well as Argan Oil in styling from time to time.

How do you maintain your hair at night?

To maintain my hair at night I usually go with the pineapple method.  I prefer this method because it elongates my curls while avoiding the appearance of "bed head" in the morning.  I also wrap my hair with a satin scarf or bonnet to avoid breakage.
What’s the best thing about being natural?
I would say the best thing about being natural is the versatility.  We Naturalistas have the ability to transform our look in so many different ways and sometimes that's as easy as using a different product. Also the fact that I can embrace a healthy, manageable head of hair is awesome.  I'm a Naturalista and will remain that way.
Where can people find you on the web?
I have limited myself to social networking. The best place to find me is on Instagram @bossladyb31.


For a chance to be featured email me: TiffanyNicholsDesign@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment