Friday, March 22, 2013

Feature Friday - Elois in the Spotlight




January 2011 was when I determined I was no longer going to relax my hair. I wasn't really sure of my texture, or how difficult or simple transitioning would be. So I watched videos on YouTube of SimplYounique, Kimmaytube, and NikkieMae and begin to learn about Natural hair. The most important lesson learned was learning about my hair and not comparing my curls or coils with others.

I, like most women, had my hair relaxed at a very young age, mainly because we were "tender-head". So with this, I knew nothing about my hair, so starting from scratch has really been a journey.

I read the book called The Science of Black Hair by Author Audrey Davis-Sivosthy, which gave me so much insight and knowledge on how to understand how my hair responds to product and how to balance PH in my hair. I felt like I struck gold!! I encourage everyone to read it.

So, through my journey, I've learned tone grateful for what I have and not to compare myself. I enjoy watching youtube videos of all the lovely natural sistas on how-to tutorial for conditioning, styling, and just experiencing their journeys with them. Most importantly, I've learned I can grow and retain long healthy natural hair if I keep a regimen that works for me like moisturizing, sealing and protecting my hair.



Were you a slow transitioner or did you Big Chop & Why?
I can recall my initial phase of transitioning was 7 months(Jan. 2011-July 2011) and I could no longer take the deal with the two textures so I did the "BC". I wore braids and twists for about another 6-8 months before I was ready to wear my natural hair out.


How did you feel after going natural?
After going natural, I felt happy, excited, free, new, since I did not remember ever seeing my natural texture. I had been relaxed at a very young age, so I did not know anything about being a naturalista.



How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural? What was your response to them?
My family's reaction to me going natural was sort of neutral. What I mean is, it didn't matter to them either way. They were a little supportive, but not really to excited about my decision.My "friends" were happy and nervous for me at the same time, as I did not know anything about being natural and I had never had short hair. They supported and encouraged me through the transition.


Describe your hair.
My hair is black, very coarse, and I'm about 3 textures (3c, 4a, 4b). My hair loves water and it responds very well to Giovanni and Aloe Vera Juice.

What’s your current hair routine? What are your favorite products?
My current hair regimen: Wash and deep condition weekly Wash: Use Aussie Shampoo Deep Conditioner mix : Hibiscus Deep Treatment I picked up from Neffyfro(IG)/FusionofCultures(YT),1 tbsp hibiscus power, 1 tbsp amla, 2 tbsp conditioner, 1 tbsp castor oil, 1 tbsp peppermint oil, 2 tbsp whipped shea butter, and 1 tbsp honey)
Leave-In conditioner mix: By KimmayTube(YT) (2 tbsp conditioner, 2 tbsp castor oil, 2tbsp of jojoba oil, and 2 tbsp aloe vera juice)I usually will wear my hair out on the weekend and do a protective style during the week.My favorite hair products are Giovanni Direct leave-In, Aloe Vera Juice, She Moisture Deep Treatment, IC Styling gel, Eco Styler Argan Oil Styling Gel, Now Solutions 100% Shea Butter


How do you maintain your hair at night?
Depending on the style, I may mist lightly with water prior to putting on a satin bonnet. If I have two strand twists, I will mist lightly and put on a stain bonnet. If I have a twist out, I will mist lightly add water, re-twist large sections all over, and put on a stain bonnet. I love to keep my hair well moisturized.


What’s the best thing about being natural?
The best thing about being natural to me is "IT'S ALL ME", embracing my creator's creation. I was fearfully and wonderfully made.

Where can people find you on the web?
My Youtube Channel: Lilynatural1

No comments:

Post a Comment