Friday, May 24, 2013

Feature Friday - Precious in the Spotlight



Tell Us About Yourself: 
I'm a stay at home mom to three kids ages, 7, 6 and 1. I enjoy working out and anything that makes you sweat and gets you moving!

Were you a slow transitioner or did you Big Chop & Why?
I transitioned and was dead set against doing the Big Chop. I tried to be open minded to the idea of maybe doing the big chop at some point during transitioning but I knew that doing the Big chop was not the only way for me to go from being relaxed to natural and I've never preferred short hair on myself, personally. I didn't want to big chop and then regret making the decision to do so afterwards. 

How did you feel after going natural?
Before going natural I felt like something HAD to give because my relaxed hair was really becoming something I hated about my physical appearance. It was no longer the lustrous and long hair that so many people use to compliment me on. It was breaking, shedding and would not retain much length past about shoulder length anymore. Transitioning was hard and I didn't know much about being natural or transitioning for that matter. I felt like I was determined to see it through and be happy with my hair like I once was when I was relaxed although I've never loved my hair more than I do now that I'm relaxer free. 


How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural? What was your response to them?
My husband was very supportive and I didn't think he would be because I thought he loved my hair the way it was when I was relaxed. I knew that transitioning would be an "ugly stage" and didn't know how he'd feel about that. One aunt of mine saw me a few months after I had stopped relaxing and she asked me what was going on with my hair! She said she wasn't used to seeing it like that and she didn't know much about natural hair. 

Describe your hair.
Its a jungle and I love it! Very course and thick, long- about a little past bra strap length. 
What’s your current hair routine? What are your favorite products?
I usually go about 3 weeks or so between washing. I love to throw my hair up in a bun especially because I work out so much. I also love to try new styles and ways to do my hair though I can not stand to really wear my hair down because its kind of annoying with it being all over the place or in my face a lot! LOL I love to use Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture shampoo and conditioner. They have been my FAV for a while. I LOVE coconut oil and grapeseed oil. I always use grapeseed oil as a heat protectant before I flat iron or blow dry. 
How do you maintain your hair at night?
I use the LocSoc and/or my satin bonnet most times. 


What’s the best thing about being natural?
The best thing is that my hair is really thriving and that feels amazing!! I feel like I'm setting an example for my daughters that its okay to accept our hair the way it is without the use of perming and relaxing the way so many of us used to!
Where can people find you on the web?
Sub to me on YouTube: youtube.com/prec18 - Kinky Forever
I'm on Instagram Straigth Flexin! LOL "reasonnumbr1" and on Twitter @pinkyPG


For a chance to be featured please email me at: TiffanyNicholsDesign@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment