Friday, October 4, 2013

Feature Friday- Vashti in the Spotlight



Hey Everyone….I am so please to fellow YouTuber and Blogger Vashti, on my blog today.   A few months ago I got to meet her in Dallas at a Natural Hair Event and she is such a natural beauty and I absolutely love her accent.  Vashti was so kind enough to share with us today, so let’s go ahead and get into it.

Vashit, can you tell everyone about yourself?

Hi, I'm Vashti. I am the creator of “The HodgePodge Files”, a blog where I chronicle my natural hair adventures, my love for all things DIY and more. I'm from the Caribbean island of Grenada but I currently reside in Dallas, TX.

I frequently read your blog, I find it very informative and entertaining.  Definitely keep it going. 

So let’s get into your natural  hair journey.

Were you a slow transitioner or did you Big Chop?
I think I was more of a short transitioner. :) I stopped relaxing my hair for about 3 months while I decided if “natural” was for me. I didn't know it was called transitioning, but I eventually cut off all my new growth in August 2009 when I big chopped.

How did you feel after going natural?
FREE!  I know everyone says that, but it's the truth. I felt free but also a bit apprehensive. I did have my moments where I questioned my choice to Big chop, but I can honestly say that I have no regrets about my decision. It took me a while to get used to the look, but I fell in love with my hair and all the many things I can do with it.

I think that is a common reaction when one does the Big Chop.  I know I felt free, but then I felt like, what did I just do!!! I had to get comfortable with my new look!  LOL

How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural?
My mom, sisters and other family members were very shocked since I only told them, or rather showed them after I Big chopped. They were, however, supportive of my decision. I think they were mostly curious to see how I would go about taking care of my hair.  My husband was/is very supportive and he even accompanied me to have my chop done. :)

That is wonderful. I am glad you had a great support system, especially coming from your husband. 
 

Now that you have had plenty of time to get used to your hair, how would you describe it?
My hair is thick, fluffy, cottony, kinky and coily! I try to keep it stretched as much as possible in an effort to reduce tangles and breakage.


Well can you share your current hair routine with us?
I try to stay consistent with cleansing, conditioning, moisturizing and sealing. I think those are the most important steps in a healthy hair regimen regardless of the products you use. I cleanse my hair every 7-10 days during the cooler months, but once it gets warmer, I tend to at least do a midweek co-wash. I detox/clarify my hair at least once a month usually using a clay mix (bentonite/rhassoul). I wear my hair in some variation of twisted style most of the time. Twists are super versatile and can be styled for every occasion.  I deep condition every time I wash my hair and I also incorporate special treatments such as Amla Pastes and Henna glosses from time to time.

You are so right….Cleansing, Conditioning, Moisturizing, and Sealing at the most import steps to a healthy hair regimen. 

What are some of your favorite products to help you maintain a good hair regimen?
 
 
I have quite a few favorites but some of my current “must haves” include:
*Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp * Tamanu Masque. I use this as a styler and it gives me amazingly soft, fluffy hair.
*Jamaican Black Castor Oil. I love this as a sealant and as an additive to my deep conditioners
*Coconut Oil – as a sealer and a pre-poo
* Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream – I use this as a moisturizer/styler mostly in the colder months.
*Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque – I use this as a styler as well.
*Eden Bodyworks Jojoba Monoi Deep Conditioner.
*Bobeam Shampoo Bars
*Bask Palm Tapioca Deluxe Hair Cream – styler.


What is your routine at night?
If my hair isn't in a twisted style, I have re-twist/re-braid in large sections every night or I'll ended up with a puff a the next day :) I moisturize my hair as needed before re-twisting.


That sounds easy enough!!!

I want to thank you again for taking time out to share your natural hair journey and regimen with us today.  I really do appreciate it and I wish you much success with your YouTube Channel and Blog. 

Before you go can you tell us what the best thing about being natural is?

What’s the best thing about being natural?
Hands down…the VERSATILIY! I love all the styles options. I love experimenting and turning a “failed” styled into something fresh and new. I also really appreciate the wonderful sisterhood and friendships that I've developed with so many wonderful ladies that I've meet on social media. It's truly a blessing!

Thanks again Vashti!!

To see more of Vashti, you can check her out at the following locations:
Blog: www.thehodgepodgefiles.com
Youtube: www.youtube.com/veepeejay
Twitter: www.twitter.com/veepeejay1
Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheHodgePodgeFiles
Instagram: www.instagram.com/veepeejay


No comments:

Post a Comment