Friday, July 12, 2013

Feature Friday - Julie in the Spotlight



 Tell Us About Yourself:
I am 26 year old professional by day and small business owner in between. I have an accessories company for women and men called Necessories. I also sing in my spare time, which I am very passionate about. I’m shy at times, corky and crazy, love to eat, and a hopeless romantic. I am from Philly and love my friends and family dearly.
Were you a slow transitioner or did you Big Chop & Why?
I've been natural since about 2007 when I was in college. I transitioned from relaxers and slowly became fully natural by trimming my ends frequently. I recently Big Chopped on February 23, 2013! I wanted to begin a new healthier hair journey and decided to BC. Before my BC I colored my hair and straightened pretty frequently, however during this new journey I want to stray away from color and heat. 

How did you feel after going natural?
I felt awesome! It was an impulse decision to BC and I was a little nervous. I booked the appointment the day before and just went for it. My new hair has given me a confidence out of this world. I love my hair! I am not afraid or ashamed of the stares I get. My hair does not define me and I love who I am becoming. 


How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural? What was your response to them?
My friends and family were shocked that I did it. I didn’t tell anyone I was doing the BC, but rather I was getting my hair cut into a style. When I made the big reveal on social media I received so much love from my friends, family, and even strangers. My mom was shocked as well. I first told her over the phone and she said, “Oh, I cut my hair short when I was around your age.” However, when I seen her she asked was it going to get curlier when I wet it. Lol. As it grows and my curls take more shape she notices and compliments me. My Dad on the other hand, he just asked me, “Why the drastic hair change?”, but with a half smile. I know that he doesn’t hate it because he would have said so as he is very vocal. I know he enjoys seeing me in my natural hair state versus “the fake stuff”.
A few people at my workplace just stared when I arrived to work with very little hair. I knew they wanted to comment but didn’t know how. It doesn’t matter to me what they think, because this is my hair and I love it! But overall everyone loves it and I haven’t gotten any negative comments. Everyone tells me how beautiful I am, how this cut is becoming on me, and that I should never grow my hair back! Lol

Describe your hair.
My hair is on the coarser or kinkier side. I don’t “type” my hair because I have a variety of textures in my hair. The back of my hair has tighter curls then the front. My hair can tend to be very dry so I make sure I keep it moisturized. Overall I would just describe me hair as fierce and fabulous J

What’s your current hair routine? What are your favorite products?
I cowash my hair pretty much every other day. I use the Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner, which is bomb! I follow up with Kinky Curly’s Knot Today Leave-in Conditioner, which is swear by and is a staple in my regimen. I used and it when my hair was longer and my hair still loves it. I apply Apricot Oil and then Kinky Curly Curling Custard to define my curls and style last. Then wahlah! I’m out.

I wash my hair every two weeks with Clear Ultra Shea Shampoo to get rid of build-up from the gel and other products. During this time I also deep-condition, and I’ve been using the Palmer’s Coconut Oil Formula Deep Conditioner. This leaves my hair very moisturized and makes my curls pop

How do you maintain your hair at night?On a good night I lightly spray my hair with my water bottle for moisture and add a little apricot oil throughout. Some night’s I reach for a moisturizer if my hair is feeling extra dry. I then out on my satin bonnet and count sheep.


What’s the best thing about being natural?

The best thing about being natural is that I can just be me. I love the ease of my natural hair at it’s current state. I use to obsess over my hair, if one strand wasn’t right I wouldn’t leave the house. When I cut my hair it was a freeing moment. I am so glad that I chose to do it.

Where can people find you on the web?

You can find me on Instagram and Twitter @juboolee.
I also have a few videos on youtube under mzjewelzz.
Also, you can check out Necessories on Instagram @necessaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment