Friday, July 19, 2013

Feature Friday - Abigail in the Spotlight

 
Today for Feature Friday, I have a very popular Instagramer and a fellow YouTuber, Abigail, also known as, NaturalandChic, willing to share her journey back to natural and provide a little information about her favorite natural products.  Continue reading to find out more....

Abigail thank you for taking time out to answer a few questions about your natural hair journey.  I am sure this will be very informative and inspirational to many ladies that are going natural or thinking about it. Without further ado let's get right into it.

I am sure many women out there want to know if you did the big chop or if you transitioned back to natural, I know I do. LOL!!! So which method did you choose?
I was a slow transition-er. I chose to take that route because I couldn't bare the thought of scissors touching my hair. It was also better for me because during that process I was able to learn my hair and experiment with different styles. For the first half of my transitioning stage I did a lot of protective styling. The second half was dedicated to trying different products and experimenting with styles. I was an interesting journey. Several naturals have told me that they didn't think it was possible to go natural without doing the big chop but I'm proof that it is. It took me 2 years and I don't regret it.
 
Wow....so you transitioned for two years!  Way to go! That is very inspiring. Well, how did you feel after going natural?
When I first decided to go natural I was unsure of how I'd like it and if it was something I was going to stick with. On several occasions I was close to getting a relaxer put back in! I was so used to the easy route with straight hair. But now that I've completed my transitioning process I've fallen in love with my hair and how it expresses me. Natural hair is so versatile and I love that. I feel like I have a relationship with my hair and going natural is a decision I don't regret. I've grown so much because of it. 
 
You touched on a key thing there which is, falling in love with your hair.  I think that is very important.  If you don't love it, how can you expect someone else to. That brings me to my next question.  How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural? What was your response to them?
It's funny because my sisters, mom and I all went natural around the same time so I had a support team! It was great. We shared tips and advice with each other. There were also YouTube videos we'd send to each other for inspiration. My friends were accepting of it for the most part. There was the occasional "I don't see how you could do that." and the "It looks good on you but I couldn't." But I had to look past that. With motivation from within and from family I successfully completely my transitioning stage and have been fully naturally now for about 5 months.
 
Now that you have rid your hair of the relaxer and you only have to deal with one texture, how would you describe your hair.
I have about 5 different textures in my hair. Haha! I couldn't describe it if I tried. All I know is that I love it and embrace it for all that it is. I try not to confine my hair to codes. It is what it is.
 
I feel you on that. Well, can you share your current hair routine and your favorite products?
I co-wash every two weeks and deep condition as well. I've thrown away my combs when it comes to detangling because I realize that's where a lot of my breakage was coming from. Finger detangling has shown nice results. Gentleness and TLC is key to retaining length. A few of my favorite products are Shea Moisture, Tressemme Naturals and Ecostyler gel. I experiment with a lot of products so I'm definitely in the product junkie category. Haha!!
 
Product Junkie?? I hope we don't have to check you into rehab! LOL Seriously, it is always good to experiment with different products so you know what works and doesn't work for your hair. Being a PJ isn't a bad thing.
 
Okay...you have put in a full days work and now it is time to go to bed. How do you maintain your hair at night?
I slack when it comes to wearing bonnets because I hate how it ruins my curls. Putting my hair up into a pineapple and sleeping "carefully" has been my routine for a while now, but that's going to change. I think its best to sleep with a silk bonnet.
 
Can you please leave my readers with what you think is the best thing about being natural? Uniqueness! I love seeing other women rocking their natural do's! Each one is different and unique!
 
Thank you, Ms "NaturalandChic" for being in the spotlight.  I pray that you continue to be an inspiration to many.
 
To see more of Abigail, check her out on Instagram and YouTube.  The links are below.
Instagram @naturalandchic  http://instagram.com/naturalandchic#
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment