Monday, November 25, 2013

Nicole Jocleen - Business Woman, Author, and Natural Hair Beauty



Hey Everyone....I am super excited to have a very good and dear friend of mine on my blog today.  This lady is such an inspiration to me and I had to have her share a little bit about herself with you all.

So without further ado, I want you to welcome Nicole Ray aka Nicole Jocleen to my blog. 

Hi Nicole....thank you so very much for taking time out of your very busy schedule to speak with me today. I am super excited to finally have you here. Now I know we know each other very well, but I will do my best to remain very professional during this interview. LOL...there will be no cutting up!


Well, let's go ahead and jump right into it.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
My name is Nicole Ray, but I do business as Nicole Jocleen. I am a graduate of Southern University and a wife.

Can you share with us what some of your current business endeavors are?
I have a company named JBDR Media Group. I use my business to promote my books as well as the artist that I manage.

That is very impressive, because not to many people our age are making moves like that.
How and When did you get started?
I wrote my first book and started managing seriously in 2010. I started searching for my purpose in life. I prayed about it and started working on my first book about 3 days later.

It is truly amazing how He actually does hear our prayers and actually talks to us.  I am truly glad that you heard him, because I LOVE your books. How many books have you actually written thus far?
I have written 3 books.

How many books have you published?
I have published 3 books.

Wow...3 for 3.  That's a true testament that you are walking in your purpose. You should definitely share tips with new and up and coming writers/authors on how to get started and how to go about getting their work published. That would be an awesome seminar. 
 
Well, with you being as creative as you are, how do you come up with your book titles?
My first book was a poetry book called rightoverwrong: a book of poems. At the time I was really on the biblical concept “choose life.” So I wanted to give off that message. My second book was titled “On The Scene.” I got that concept while I was having a conversation with my brother about a young lady. He was trying to describe her to me, but I still didn’t know who he was talking about and then he said, “you know she be ‘on the scene” and I immediately knew. The title and concept was birthed at that moment. My most recent book is called “Life is Crazy.” It’s a testimonial poetry book about a challenging time in my life and that was the only way I could describe it.

 
What made you write, “On the Scene”?
I’ve experienced the nightlife scene in Oklahoma City, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Atlanta, and D.C. and I noticed in each city there is certain group of people that are represented. You have the major party promoter, DJ, etc.  Then you have people like me that don’t fit into that group but may find themselves judging them from a distance. You know we have all been to an event and judged it from the beginning to the end saying what we would have done to make it better but we’ve never thrown an event in our lives. So I wanted to combine my observations and create character representations and tell a story that would provide deeper insight into their lives and remind you not to judge all at the same time.

I must say, that I related to a few of the characters in "On the Scene", I really enjoyed that book.  I think I read it one week.  I really didn't want to put it down.

You have since come out with another book. What was your inspiration on your latest project, “Life is Crazy”?
When I was going through my challenging time I would hear about things happening in other people’s life and my response would always be, “wow that’s crazy.” So I just used that concept and made it a generalization in reference to life.

I am sure many people are dying to know how we can we get our hands on a copy of one of your books?
You can go to my website http://www.nicolejocleen.com as well as http://www.amazon.com and http://www.bn.com

What can we expect in the future?
More and more books! I currently manage recording artist LaRhonda-Marie and RedPrint so look out for their upcoming projects as well.

Nicole, you know I am a lover of natural hair, so you have to share with use a little it about your beautiful head of hair. 

When you decided to return back to natural, were you a slow transitioner or did you big chop?
I was a slow transitioner. I was in college in Louisiana and the humidity did nothing for my perm. So I just stopped getting them and after about a year of fighting the humidity with micro braids, kinky twist, and straw sets I was like ‘oh I’m natural.”

LOl....so how did you feel after going natural?
Once I had realized that I had unconsciously grown my perm out I was happy. I discovered my curls and was eager to go a different route with my hair. My permed hair was thin so it gave me a rather plain Jane type of look so I was just excited to try something new.

How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural?
I remember initially wanting dreads and everyone saying “no don’t do that.” When I was finally completely natural my family would always ask me how I made my hair curly. They had never seen my natural hair before so I think they were rather confused.

Well, I am so glad you didn't do dreads.  No offense to anyone with dreads, I just couldn't imagine you with them. You have been natural for a few years now, how would you describe your hair?
My hair type is curly. Initially my curls were looser, but this year it’s started to tighten.

 
What’s your current hair routine?
I wash'n'go once a week on Wednesdays. Every morning after that I moisten my hair with my water from my water bottle and Curls 2nd Day Refresher. I use this wide bristle brush to style the curls that appear a little lifeless. Then I spray Shine to complete the look.

What are your favorite products?
I use Aveda Be Curly shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer. I use any mouse, Eco Styler Gel (curl/wave), Curls 2nd Day Refresher, and Shine.

How do you maintain your hair at night?
I use a bonnet.

Thank you again Nicole, for sharing with us today.  It is so appreciated and I hope that this interview inspires someone to move towards their dreams.  Before you go, I have to ask you, what do you feel the best thing about being natural is?
How you look whether bad or good is in your hands. Being natural is a do it yourself lifestyle.

Alright then!!! To see more of Nicole, you can find her at the following locations:
Website: www.nicolejocleen.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/nicolejocleen
Twitter: nicolejocleen.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment